Care Funding & Costs
Alberta Health Services , through funds provided by the Government of Alberta, cover health care related services. This type of funding is called Care Funding.
Accommodation Fees, paid by the resident, cover the costs of providing accommodations and services such as food service, housekeeping, and building maintenance.
Alberta Health Services, through funds provided by the Government of Alberta, is responsible for funding health care. Care funding provides for nursing services, recreation, and other care services such as therapy, social work and dieticians.
Who Qualifies for Publicly Funded Care in Alberta? To qualify for publicly funded care:
- you must be eligible for registration with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan;
- you must have lived in Alberta for three consecutive years at any time previously; or
- you must have lived in Alberta for one year immediately prior to applying; and
- you must have been a resident of Canada for 10 years or more.
Financial Assistance, Benefits, & Pensions
Residents may be eligible to receive funds from government sources, including the Government of Canada and/or the Alberta Government. If you would like some assistance understanding the information on these programs. Long term care residents can obtain this information through the social worker. Supportive living residents can access this information through their case manager or resident care manager.
All accommodation fees for continuing care are set by the Government of Alberta and are based on the room type. Rates will increase on the 1st of July each year and pricing is set by the Government of Alberta. A current list of the continuing care accommodation rates is available through Alberta Health https://www.alberta.ca/continuing-care-accommodation-charges.aspx
There are also several Alberta Government income support programs through ALBERTA SUPPORTS:
- Alberta Aids to Daily Living
- Alberta Seniors Benefit Program
- Special Needs Assistance for Seniors
- Supplementary Accommodation Benefit
- Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped
Call 1-877-644-9992, or